[USRP-users] Signal transmission on a USRP X310

Marcus D. Leech patchvonbraun at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 15:08:16 EDT 2020

On 07/21/2020 03:04 PM, Jerrid Plymale via USRP-users wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> So I have been running into some interesting issues lately with using
> a USRP X310 as a signal generator. I have a UBX 40 Duaghterboard
> installed in the USRP, and I have been testing sending signals at
> varying frequencies. I have noticed that I can set the center
> frequency of the USRP sink block up to about 1.3 GHz, and I can see
> the sine wave being transmitted and received just fine (1 MHz
> frequency and 4 MHz sampling rate sine wave), but setting the center
> frequency any higher causes a loss in data (the spectrogram of the
> signal looks pixelated and some of the pixels in the signal are much
> lower that others). I know that the X310 supports up to 6 GHz signals,
> and I know the PC I am running GNU Radio can handle generating the
> signal IQ data, so I am at a loss for ideas as to what could be
> causing the loss of signal data at frequencies greater than 1.3 GHz.
> Any suggestions or ideas on what I am doing wrong and what I need to
> change would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Jerrid Plymale

How are you measuring the transmitted signal?

 From the baseband standpoint, the flow-graph has no idea what the final
frequency is--that's all done in the analog hardware.  So a 4MHz wide
   baseband with a narrowband carrier at 1MHz looks the same in the
baseband domain regardless of the analog final "on air" frequency.

So, how are you measuring this?  What is the exact setup?