[USRP-users] X310 with DPDK

Marcus D. Leech patchvonbraun at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 12:12:05 EDT 2020

On 07/21/2020 10:53 AM, Carmichael, Ryan via USRP-users wrote:

> On the DPDK page (https://files.ettus.com/manual/page_dpdk.html) the
> following statement is made:
>
> “Device discovery via DPDK is not currently implemented, so the device
> args |mgmt_addr|, |addr|, and |second_addr| (if applicable) must all
> be specified at runtime. There is no mechanism for MPM's TCP/IP
> control traffic to flow over a link that is occupied by DPDK, so
> mgmt_addr must point to a link that is not used for CHDR, such as
> N310's RJ45 port.”
>
> I’ve been using the X310 without DPDK with dual 10Gb SPI/SFP+
> connections (192.168.30.2, 192.168.40.2). Once I start DPDK, ifconfig
> no longer shows the NICs at all, which I assume is what it is supposed
> to be doing. My question is, what is the ‘mgmt_addr’ ? I’ve never used
> it before when using the X310. And how do I make sure the mgmt_addr
> isn’t using a CHDR link? The X310 only has two RJ45s, right – and
> they’re both being used by DPDK.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ryan
>
> //
/Ignore my last.

Yes, the X310 has only the two ports.   I was suffering from cognitive
pollution between the N310 and X310.

So, this is an excellent point.   I don't use DPDK myself, since my
hosts don't have the right NICs, and it's really only justified for very
high
   sample rates.

Also, X310 is not an MPM device, so the comments about MPM traffic
aren't relevant to X310 as far as I know.

/