[USRP-users] x300 Timeout errors on receiving continuous stream (w/ Redhawk SDR)

Lawrence L Elentukh lelentukh at mitre.org
Tue Jul 7 13:00:08 EDT 2020

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to me. I implemented your suggestion; after stopping the stream I added a recv() to the service function that continues to receive while the usrp is stopped until it sees a timeout error. I can see that it stops, then tries to receive from the usrp and sees a single timeout error, as expected. Afterwards, issuing a start command works for a few runs, but again I encounter a series of timeout errors after a number of runs.

The stop command is issued as follows:
> uhd::stream_cmd_t stream_cmd_stop(uhd::stream_cmd_t::STREAM_MODE_STOP_CONTINUOUS);
> stream_cmd_stop.stream_now = false;
> usrp_device_ptr->issue_stream_cmd(stream_cmd_stop, frontend_tuner_status[tuner_id].tuner_number);

(The tuner id of all the start and stop commands, as well all timeout errors, is ‘0’).

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,
Lawrence
Hello,

I am experiencing issues where the uhd::recv() function returns a series of unrecoverable timeout errors, I have seen similar questions on the mailing list but none that have been resolved or whose resolution helped me. The front end interfacing with the USRP connects to the device and runs using STREAM_MODE_START_CONTINUOUS, continually receiving samples. Then our codebase connects to it via redhawk's waveform connections and the redhawk usrp_uhd front-end pushes the samples received downstream to our receiver. The issue is that after a few runs of our code (which doesn't start or stop the stream from the redhawk frontend), I end up getting time-out errors from the uhd::recv() return code, and all subsequent attempts to receive samples see this error. Information about the system is as follows:

USRP: x310
Interface: 10GigE, with appropriate MTU and network memory configurations
Sampling Rate: 200e6/6 (33.33MHz)
Single channel Rx
UHD Version: 3.15.LTS

I am using the Redhawk SDR as a platform, with our own code base as a receiver, and am attempting to make changes to both my local copy of the redhawk-usrp_uhd front-end tuner component and our own code to resolve this issue, however all interactions with UHD are through the redhawk component (which can be found here: https://github.com/RedhawkSDR/USRP_UHD/blob/master/cpp/USRP_UHD.cpp#L1582)

Things I have tried:
* Starting/Stopping stream between receiver runs
* Increasing receive timeout (up to 1 sec)
* Resetting metadata between receives
* Clearing buffers (dropping samples) when not running receiver

Note: I am able to run the receiver without issue on the first few runs (for durations up to 20 minutes), however after 3-5 runs, all further runs end up reporting timeout errors.

This seemed to happen to me if I don't explicitly shut down the stream and keep reading until I get timeouts or no samples received for all streams.

Does your application stop the reception of samples explicitly?  If so, do you keep reading the samples until they timeout and return 0 samples?

Give that a shot and see if it helps.

Brian