[USRP-users] phase-aligning two USRPs without Octoclock

Marcus D. Leech patchvonbraun at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 01:24:00 EST 2020

On 01/27/2020 01:00 AM, Sourin Mondal (Vehere) wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> Thanks for the information. Could you please also tell what is the
> accuracy with which the phases are aligned between USRP channels, when
> we use 10 MHz reference to align, in pico-seconds or nano-seconds?
>
> Regards,
> Sourin
The answer to that question depends very much on the hardware involved.

In general, two synthesizers locked to the same clock won't have a zero
phase *offset* from one another, but will be phase-coherent
   on an ongoing basis.

Now, for *some* types of Ettus hardware, there is special hardware that
can arrange to phase-reset during tuning, so that all the participating
   synthesizers will have small phase-offsets with respect to one another.

We generally talk in terms of degrees, rather than picoseconds or
nanoseconds.  Residual phase offsets will typically be under 5 degrees.

But keep in mind that things like differential heating of cables, and
internal circuit in ANY coherent radio can case the phase relationships
   to drift slightly.