[USRP-users] uhd_find_devices - No UHD Devices Found

Marcus D. Leech patchvonbraun at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 20:03:13 EST 2020

On 01/19/2020 07:49 PM, Joe crossen via USRP-users wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have 2 USRP E312 devices.
> - one has a GNU Radio image
> - one has a Redhawk SDR image -
> https://geontech.com/redhawk-sdr-and-an-ettus-e310/
>
> With both devices turned on, I am attempting to locate them using
> uhd_find_devices (and also the probe command), but it says No UHD
> devices Found. I have 2 host PCs, one running Ubuntu, one running CentOS.
>
> Everything is on the same network. Everything can ping everything.
>
> I have used Wireshark, and noticed that the uhd_find_devices command
> broadcasts a UDP package throughout the network, but there is no
> response.
>
> However, I have noticed that all UHD driver versions are different:
> - USRP1 (redhawk image) = 3.11.0.1-0
> - USRP2 (gnuradio image) = 003.009.002
> - Ubuntu PC = 3.14.1
> - CentOS PC = 003.010.001.000-0
> Would this be the problem? if so, how do I go about installing
> specific versions of UHD on my PCs? (or possible the USRP devices -
> though I would rather not mess with the images)
>
> Thanks in advance everyone!
> Joe

So, the E310 is *primarily* an embedded device, and there's something
called "network mode" that make it behave like a low-performance
   version of something like the N210.

In order for this to work, a few thing have to be true:

   o You have to be running the same version of UHD on your host and
your E310
   o The host UHD must have been compiled with E310 support
   o You need to run the 'usrp_e3x0_network_mode' command on the E310
(via SSH or the console)

Don't expect really great performance--perhaps 1 or 2Msps is the max
that can be achieved.