[USRP-users] Configuring RX connection type on N210/TVRX2

Marcus D. Leech patchvonbraun at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 13:48:53 EST 2019

On 11/25/2019 04:32 AM, Julian Ilinca via USRP-users wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This message is a reply to a previous thread which I started. The
> contents of which can be found below.
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/usrp-users@lists.ettus.com/msg09327.html
>
> My question now concerns what data is actually stored in the final I
> and Q components that are sent to the host. The question and the
> answer are presented below.
>
> Q1
> The daughter-board is set so that one channel retrieves the I
> component and the other channel the Q. I retrieved this information
> with the uhd_usrp_probe command. In the output under RX0 its says
> connection type = Q and on RX1 connection type = I. What command do I
> have to use to change connection type of RX0 from Q to I, so that I
> could have two channels measuring the real component.
>
> A1
> That isn't possible.  Signals are presented to the host as complex
> samples.  The TVRX2 *analog hardware* uses a so-called "low-IF"
> architecture, and the N210 has a single 2-channel complex ADC.  Each
> of those two channels is *hard wired* to go to one of the ADC
> channels, and the DDC algorithms in the FPGA convert that to a complex
> base-band signal that is then filtered, downsampled, and sent to the
> host computer.
>
> From this answer, am I to understand that both of the signals coming
> from antenna 1 and 2 respectively are first mixed with a signal
> provided by the local oscillator (LO) so that they are separately
> converted to baseband. After which the information of the baseband
> originating from antenna 1 is stored in the Real part of the complex
> number and the signal coming from antenna 2 to imaginary part. And
> only then then filtering and down sampling occurs. What I want to know
> is that are the downsampled and filtered baseband signals from antenna
> 1 and 2 preserved in the IQ components respectively.
>
> Furthermore, as I and Q usually mean in-phase and quadrature
> component, is the signal coming from antenna 2 mixed with a LO-signal
> that has been shifted by 90 degrees in phase compared to the LO-signal
> that is mixed with channel 1.
The two analog channels (antenna ports) on the TVRX2 are separate--they
can be tuned separately, and go through separate
   mixing pathways down to a "low-IF".  That low-IF is sampled by the
single two-channel ADC on the motherboard, which creates
   two separate I/Q data streams by converting the low-IF to baseband
digitally inside the FPGA.  Again, there are TWO channels
   that can  be  created by the TVRX2, and EACH of those channels
appears to the host as a complex-baseband.