[USRP-users] USRP N310 Losing Connection Occassionally

Austin Adam austinadam42 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 18:24:55 EST 2019

For testing, I just put a simple signal source, added a head block, and
then a QT Time sink and it seems to just go for a second and freeze. I am
sure this is the correct way to do it. When it issues the 'done' is it
supposed to close? Or send a message? Or change some variable that I then
have to check in the code?

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 3:17 PM Marcus D. Leech <patchvonbraun at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> You put it after your source, and the rest of the graph is the same.
>
> If it just "freezes up", that's, I think, unexpected, and may indicate
> some deficiencies in flowgraph shutdown on N3xx hardware.
>
> What does you GR script look like?
>

> On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 2:55 PM Marcus D. Leech <patchvonbraun at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/23/2019 05:48 PM, Austin Adam wrote:
>>
>> Hey Marcus,
>> Thank you for the quick response! This sounds like a good solution, could
>> you give some insight on how to go about doing it?
>>
>> Thank you so much!
>>
>> The "head" block takes a number, which is the count of samples that it
>> will allow through it before it declares "Done", and thus causes
>>   clean termination of your GR Script.
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 2:32 PM Marcus D. Leech via USRP-users <
>> usrp-users at lists.ettus.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 11/23/2019 03:49 PM, Austin Adam via USRP-users wrote:
>>>
>>> I am trying to run a Gnu Radio python file via the terminal and only
>>> want to run in for a few seconds and then kill it. Then, wait a little bit,
>>> and rerun the script again. My problem is that sometimes, when I rerun it,
>>> I get an issue with my USRP N310 in that it decides to just disconnect with
>>> either a "No devices found for" or "Someone tried to claim this device
>>> again" message. I have posted the error messages below from two different
>>> instances.
>>>
>>> When this happens, running uhd_find_devices does not find the N310,
>>> neither does uhd_find_devices --args=addr=192.168.10.2.
>>>
>>> Upon restarting the N310 by manually pressing the power button, it is
>>> able to be found by uhd_find_devices, and I can continue running the script
>>> until the error happens, and I have to go manually restart the USRP.
>>>
>>> I am trying to make an entire automated system and this is the one thing
>>> that requires manual effort, which is to get up and restart the USRP.
>>>
>>> I am looking for a way to either, reboot the USRP via commands for when
>>> the error occurs, or a solution/workaround to the problem if it exists.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to keep the USRP claimed and just tell the GNU part of
>>> the script to run each time I want to rerun it? Because each time I have to
>>> run the script, the USRP has to again be claimed and initiated. How can I
>>> keep it on at all times, or just skip the claiming step each time?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
>>>
>>> Here are the error messages:
>>> *[INFO] [UHD] linux; GNU C++ version 8.3.0; Boost_106700;
>>> UHD_3.14.0.HEAD-0-g6875d061*

>>> *Traceback (most recent call last):   File
>>> "/home/ugikie/Desktop/PositionControl/ArrayTest2.py", line 296, in <module>
>>>     main()   File "/home/ugikie/Desktop/PositionControl/ArrayTest2.py",
>>> line 284, in main     tb = top_block_cls()   File
>>> "/home/ugikie/Desktop/PositionControl/ArrayTest2.py", line 79, in __init__
>>>     channels=range(4),   File
>>> "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/uhd/__init__.py", line
>>> 122, in constructor_interceptor     return old_constructor(*args)   File
>>> "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/uhd/uhd_swig.py", line
>>> 2782, in make     return _uhd_swig.usrp_source_make(*args) RuntimeError:
>>> LookupError: KeyError: No devices found for -----> Device Address:
>>> addr: 192.168.10.2     rx_lo_source: external     init_cals:
>>> BASIC|TX_ATTENUATION_DELAY|RX_GAIN_DELAY|PATH_DELAY|TX_LO_LEAKAGE_INTERNAL|LOOPBACK_RX_LO_DELAY*
>>>
>>> *Here is the second time it happened:*

>>> *[INFO] [UHD] linux; GNU C++ version 8.3.0; Boost_106700;
>>> UHD_3.14.0.HEAD-0-g6875d061 [INFO] [MPMD] Initializing 1 device(s) in
>>> parallel with args:
>>> mgmt_addr=192.168.10.2,type=n3xx,product=n310,serial=3177E63,claimed=True,addr=192.168.10.2,rx_lo_source=external,init_cals=BASIC|TX_ATTENUATION_DELAY|RX_GAIN_DELAY|PATH_DELAY|TX_LO_LEAKAGE_INTERNAL|LOOPBACK_RX_LO_DELAY
>>> [ERROR] [RPC] Someone tried to claim this device again (From: 192.168.10.1)