[USRP-users] IQ-sample with a magnitude larger than 1.0

Brian Padalino bpadalino at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 15:41:41 EST 2019

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 2:49 PM Lindstedt, Ralf via USRP-users <
usrp-users at lists.ettus.com> wrote:

> We are transmitting samples in bursts of 15360 samples(1ms @
> 15.36Msamples/s). When the magnitudes of the transmitted samples are mostly
> larger than 1.0, the received signal, especially the beginning is distorted.

Definitely not recommended.

> My assumptions is that this distortion happens on the transmitter side. Is
> this correct, and if what exactly happens with the data?

Clipping/saturation in the Ettus radios, I believe - but it should be noted
that you should be able to transmit > 1.0 magnitude so long as either I or
Q being sent isn't larger than 1.0 - but I still don't recommend that
either.

Which Ettus product and why are you transmitting > 1.0, if you don't mind
me asking?

Brian