[USRP-users] Phase drift issue of N310

Ali Dormiani sdormian at eng.ucsd.edu
Wed Mar 13 14:59:14 EDT 2019

Hello,

You sort of said the answer yourself:

"two dboards are using independent reference clocks"

RX0 and RX1 use the same LO while RX2 and RX3 use a different LO.

I like to think of each N310 as two radios in the same box (when it comes
to phase issues). Additionally, I think UHD/GNUradio start up RF components
at run-time so all calibration needs to be preformed each time you run a
flow-graph or C file?

There are signal processing ways to mitigate this. Consider looking into
ESPRIT or array shape calibration research.

The hardware fix to this problem is feeding an external LO into each N310
dboard.

Attached are some old results from our lab with an 8 TX 24 RX system set up
indoors (all N310s). You can see that our DOA estimate in ESPRIT drifts
badly (10 degrees or so) over about a second of data.

The point I'm trying to make is, depending on your application, you can
avoid buying external LO's, references, ect with some math effort.

However, if you are looking for hardware I suggest Ettus Octoclocks for
splitting and the following frequency synthesizer:

https://www.valonrf.com/frequency-synthesizer-4400mhz.html

Good luck with your endeavors,

Ali