[USRP-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: Recording the full X3x0 bandwidth

Mark-Jan Bastian markjan at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 13 03:55:02 EDT 2019

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 09:10:02AM +0100, Mark-Jan Bastian wrote:
> In the past there have been videocards that host a 16x16x16 PCIe bridge (ie. IDT,
> or broadcom) to accomodate two 16-lane PCIe GPUs, each with their own
> GDDR5 memory.

Note that there is also Microsemi (a microchip company) that markets PCIe
bridges dedicated to storage solutions. This seems a bit odd, since PCIe
transports just a lot of small packets with memory transactions, and atomic
memory transactions and interrupts.

> There also have been videocards that embedded a direct path storage
> functionality to maximaze GPU-NANDflash-based IO rates, although I havn't seen ones which use
> a lot of SATA or other spinning media compatible storage.

Example is AMD Radeon Pro SSG 2TB (from 2016 ?), which uses 4 onboard NVME slots each with a
512 GB Samsing SM961 using presumably 4 PCIe lanes each. It support OpenCL and has a special
API to access it's storage.

https://www.amd.com/Documents/ssg-api-user-manual.pdf

Today also 2TB M.2 SSDs are available, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB, times 4 would mean up to 8 TB of
GPU attached storage (if compatible). This should translate for up to 20 minutes of
1600 MB/sec storage.

Mark-Jan