[USRP-users] Using REF OUT / REF IN between two X310s

Achilleas Anastasopoulos anastas at umich.edu
Sat Mar 2 16:41:14 EST 2019

Hi all,

In the past I had performed the following successful experiment using two
N210's connected with a MIMO cable:

I transmitted a single sinusoid of 10KHz through on USRP at a carrier of
1GHz and received it on another N210. The latter was configured to use the
MIMO cable for clock reference. I was able to verify that the two clocks
are indeed synced because I saw a single (noisy) point at the constellation
scope (after correcting for the 10KHz on the Rx side) that was very stable
(no rotation).

I wanted to do the same with two X310's and connected them through a cable
from the REF OUT of the first to the REF IN of the second.
I also changed the Rx clock reference:
Mb0: Clock Source = EXTERNAL
Mb0: Time source = EXTERNAL
However this experiment was unsuccessful: I do not see a single point but a
circle which indicates that the two clocks at Tx/RX are not synced.

Can you guide me as to what I am doing wrong.

thanks
Achilleas