[USRP-users] Which bandwidth does uhd::usrp::multi_usrp::set_rx_bandwidth set?

Janos Buttgereit janos.buttgereit at fh-muenster.de
Wed Feb 13 08:20:58 EST 2019

Hi everyone,

after having read https://kb.ettus.com/About_USRP_Bandwidths_and_Sampling_Rates <https://kb.ettus.com/About_USRP_Bandwidths_and_Sampling_Rates> I wonder what uhd::usrp::multi_usrp::set_rx_bandwidth does for setups with Daughterboards that have a fixed analog bandwidth? According to the API documentation it sets "the RX bandwidth on the frontend“ which to me seems to refer to the analog bandwidth. So does calling this function only result in any changes if the setup contains frontends with a configurable analog bandwidth?

Now what happens if I set a sample rate that is lower than the supported analog bandwidth? This should obviously decrease the data rate  of the stream from/to the host, however what happens before? Is the signal still sampled at a sample rate that is high enough to handle the analog bandwidth and then digitally filtered and decimated/interpolated by the FPGA to match the required host sample rate? E.g. in fact  the sample rate setting is more relevant for the actual bandwidth of a setup than the bandwidth setting which is only relevant to a few frontends?

I’d be happy to get a short feedback if I got it all right or if I misunderstood something?

Best Regards
Janos