[USRP-users] E310 RFNoC FFT Overrun Issue

Jonathon Pendlum jonathon.pendlum at ettus.com
Mon Feb 11 00:09:43 EST 2019

Hi Ramazan,

I would suggest first testing with a signal generated with GNU Radio. For
example, use a Fast Noise Source + Low Pass Filter to crudely simulate
receiving a wide band signal. See what it looks like without running it
through RFNoC. Then replace the RFNoC radio block with those blocks and
look at the result.

You should also consider using the ZeroMQ blocks to forward data over
Ethernet to a host PC to view your data in real time. Look at the gr-ettus
example flowgraphs rfnoc_fft_network_usrp (runs on E310) and
rfnoc_fft_network_host (runs on host PC).

One guess I can make is try increasing the FFT RFNoC block gain. By
default, it is set to a very conservative value, so try changing it to 21.
That gain value sets the Xilinx's FFT IP core scaling schedule, which you
can read about here:
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/xfft/v9_0/pg109-xfft.pdf
(see SCALE_SCH on page 15, the core uses Radix-4). You can also try
adjusting it with a slider in real time. Note that it may behave a bit odd
as it is not a linear mapping due to the scaling schedule format.

The overflows are due to either the ARM processors cannot keep up with the
processing load or the SD card write speed is too slow. Try increasing N in
Keep One in N.

Jonathon