[USRP-users] [B210] ERROR_CODE_TIMEOUT when recv_frame_size > 8184

Marcus D. Leech patchvonbraun at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 09:20:17 EST 2019

On 02/08/2019 06:23 AM, Krzysztof Wisniewski via USRP-users wrote:

> Dear users,
>
> I’m new to Ettus SDR therefor I might be missing some basic knowledge.
> However I’ve read that in order to increase RX capture performance I
> should fiddle with recv_frame_size and num_recv_frames. While
> increasing the latter parameter gives good results, increasing
> recv_frame_size gives me ERROR_CODE_TIMEOUT. I’ve went through the UHD
> code and it seems that my version of USRP should support values <n a
> range of <40; 16360>. Could someone explain why I’m getting those errors?
>
> My UHD version: linux; GNU C++ version 7.3.0; Boost_106501;
> UHD_3.14.0.HEAD-0-gd20a7ae2
>
> I’m using *rx_to_file.py, this is the command I’m using:*
>
> **
>
> sudo nice -21  python *rx_to_file.py*--args recv_frame_size=8192,
> num_recv_frames=256,serial=317B9F8 --output-file
> /home/odroid/shared/rx_captured.txt --freq 2440e6 --rate=45e6
> --duration 0.1
>
> I’ve tried it on B205mini-I with the same result.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kris

My guess is that this is a limitation of your USB subsystem.

I'd leave recv_frame_size alone, and just stick with
num_recv_frames=256-or-larger

But at the end of the day, your computer just may not be able to keep
up.   At 45msps, your disk drive will need to be quite fast in order to
   "keep up", quite apart from your computer being up to the task.