[USRP-users] N200: Run program locally on CPU

Marcus D. Leech mleech at ripnet.com
Tue Oct 31 19:42:26 EDT 2017

On 10/31/2017 07:31 PM, Kevin McGuire via USRP-users wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am used to the B200 over USB3. So with the N200 and uhd_rx_cfile
> utility I /finally/ realized that it reports dropped packets as the
> letter D to the terminal output. I guess I was thinking it was D for
> data and yes the thought did cross my mind that its not quite enough
> Ds for a 2000 sample packet..
>
> Anyway, I learn. I started catching on to it when the size of my
> captures file kept looking like I was sampling at
> 3.125e6/samples/second. I just was not thinking well about the 100Mbit
> and how USB3 is a lot more.
>
> So, my question is, how can I access the N200 locally? I wanted to
> overcome that 100Mbit limitation by doing just a tad of pre-procesing
> locally. I believe it runs Linux and I do not wish to tamper with the
> FPGA unless I had too - which I might do one day.

The network link on the N200 is 1000Mbit, NOT 100Mbit.   Further, the
*tiny*  "CPU" on the device is actually just a "soft" ZPU design that
exists largely to
   process a few control packets from time to time.  It cannot do "heavy
lifting".

If your computer isn't "keeping up" at 3.125Msps, then either your
computer isn't "up to snuff", or you're doing something very very wrong
in sample
   processing.