[USRP-users] Gr-inspector with AMC on an E312

Torbjörn Olsson torbjorn.olsson at atletor.se
Mon Oct 30 15:53:59 EDT 2017

Hello,

I am trying to make my E312 identify nearby transmitters by using the gr-inspector toolbox. So far I have managed to get the E312 to ”pipe” complex data to the host through ZMQ (based on the excellent instruction ”Streaming processed data from the E31x with GNU Radio and ZMQ” from Ettus Research). On the host I run gr-inspector blocks, which seems to work reasonably well (the QT GUI Inspector Sink frequency scale does not change, even if I change the frequency by the slider, but that is a minor issue).

As the gr-inspector suite also includes a block for Automatic Modulation Classification, AMC, (Tensorflow AMC Model) I am very excited to try that capability. But when I try to connect the grc blocks according to the illustration in gr-inspector git repository [1], I get a ’Type Error: data type ”message” not understood’ when running the python script generated from my flowgraph [2].

When I then compare the illustration in the repository with my flowgraph I find that I do not have a ”dashed” arrow from my AMC Module back to the QT GUI Inspector Sink. My arrow is ”solid”. As I understand it, I need to change the information flow to be ”message passing”. However, I don’t know how to do this in grc. I can’t find any editable options in the connected blocks.

I assume it is possible to make proper adoptions in the python file, but I am new at software radio and Python, so if there is a way to accomplish everything in the graphical grc it would probably be the easiest to understand for me, as working directly with the python code brings yet another level of difficulty. I am very grateful if someone can help me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance!

Regards
Torbjörn

[1] https://github.com/gnuradio/gr-inspector <https://github.com/gnuradio/gr-inspector>