[USRP-users] Extra shielding for USRP

Marcus D. Leech mleech at ripnet.com
Thu Oct 26 14:12:42 EDT 2017

On 10/26/2017 02:05 PM, Bakshi, Arjun via USRP-users wrote:
> I'd like to make a shield for my usrps. I have a significant direct
> path from the transmitting antenna to a separate receiving usrp case.
>

> The RX and TX are on different usrps. The USRP bodies/cases are about
> 5 feet apart. The TX antenna and RX USRP body are about 10 feet apart.
> However, the direct path between TX antenna and the RX USRP body still
> has significant power. I want the received signal to be between only
> the TX antenna and RX antenna. I'm limited in my ability to further
> separate things.
>

> Are there any hacks I can use to make a makeshift rf shield for my usrps?
>
> Thanks,
>
> AB

What type of USRPs do you have, and what type of enclosure do you
already have?

EM waves propagate outwards a sphere.  There's no way to tell those
signals to go only to your RX antenna, and if your radio is in an
enclosure, the bulk of the signal will be captured by your antenna, and
reflected by the enclosure.

Also, what is the *consequence* of lack of shielding for you?   Why do
you feel that you need more shielding in the first place?