[USRP-users] interpretation of received signal

Marcus D. Leech mleech at ripnet.com
Thu Oct 19 23:19:10 EDT 2017

On 10/18/2017 01:47 PM, Nirmala Soundararajan via USRP-users wrote:
> Yeah got it!  But don't you think the tool has those capabilities to
> consider the entire chain and then display the output?  Since I don't
> have actual spectrum analyzer in the lab I am forced to use the
> software spectrum analyzer.
Unless said software "understands" the hardware, and has calibration
tables, then, no, it cannot possibly display dBm, or any other
absolute-power
   units with any degree of confidence above "wild guess".

I'm pretty sure MatLab doesn't have calibration tables for USRPs, and if
it did, it would need such tables *for each and every device*.  Which is
certainly
   *possible*, but it requires a *process* to set-up those tables, and
one of the crucial devices in any such setup is a calibrated signal source.
   You cannot use an uncalibrated source (TX port of the USRP) to
calibrate an uncalibrated receiver (RX port of the USRP).