[USRP-users] using pybombs to install different revs of uhd

Nicolas Cuervo nicolas.cuervo at ettus.com
Sun Oct 15 08:58:23 EDT 2017

Hello Osvaldo,

I normally do what you describe and I follow this procedure (If someone
knows a better way *please* share!):

1. I set up my prefix with a name that describes the content, such as

    $ pybombs prefix init ~/foo -a devel

2. I only fetch the repository, without installing at first

    $ pybombs -p master fetch uhd

3. within the repository I _manually_ checkout to the branch/tag of interest

    $ cd ~/foo/src/uhd/ && git checkout origin/rfnoc-devel

4. Install using PyBOMBS with any of the following, as they all install UHD
as requirement (depends on what I will do in the prefix)

   $ pybombs -p devel install uhd

or
   $ pybombs -p devel install gnuradio

or
   $ pybombs -p devel install gr-ettus

5. Repeat from 1. with a different branch/tag

You could also generate different recipes that will fetch a specific branch
if you plan to do that several times (sometimes I've been going down this
road), but in that case, you will be generating an even more specific
recipe, so this would suffice a very specific need as well. One example of
a rather simple recipe that does that is the rfnoc.lwr recipe [1], where
you just add the "gitbrach" field to specify the branch that you want.
Copy-pasting from the PyBOMBS doc, you can also do the following [2]:

# Instead of a branch, you can also specify any commit:#gitrev:
012345abc# Another way to specify a commit is to append a rev, tag, or
commit has to the# source URL (git+https://.../gnuradio.git@abcd1234)

I ignore if there is a way to specify the branch/rev/tag directly on the
command line. I think that would be great, though, but one would have to
keep in mind how that would work out with dependency-installation. I.e.
Installing GNURadio with PyBOMBS would install UHD if it isn't installed
yet, how to give the tag to UHD in such cases? Maybe this option could be
added to the "fetch" command? (maybe an open discussion).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-Nicolas

[1] https://github.com/EttusResearch/ettus-pybombs/blob/master/rfnoc.lwr