[USRP-users] Phase sync with different frequencies

John Shields john.shields at xtra.co.nz
Sat Nov 25 22:07:14 EST 2017

Hi Arjun,
             You mention that you have both units connected to ‘external PPS source, and have a MIMO cable between them’. Not sure where the Vref is coming from but I presume over the MIMO cable?

             I wonder how you are setting the clock and time source but I had an issue with my understanding of the behaviour of the MIMO cable in a configuration of 2xN200 each with an SBX.

             Firstly, while the documentation on MIMO doesn’t explicitly mention/highlight it, the PPS is not distributed over the MIMO cable – the RTC register of the master is copied to the slave which means that the slave doesn’t actually ‘see’ a PPS over the MIMO cable. This was not a big issue for me but it meant that operations such as get_last_pps and setting the ‘sync’ on the slave to ‘unknown PPS’ both fail though, get_time_now works, so your timed commands should be good.

             Secondly, while it is obvious when you think about it, if the slave is receiving Vref over the MIMO cable there will always be a fixed phase offset based, at a minimum, on the physical length of the MIMO so the Vref offset is a function of the frequency.

             Once I understood especially the second behaviour, my system performed as I would expect.

             I know that  your setup is different than mine (I was just supplying the same signal through a splitter to each USRP and measuring the phase offset), but wonder if this might explain your observations?

                     Kind Regards,

                                John