[USRP-users] Improving Sensitivity of the Radio.

Marcus D. Leech mleech at ripnet.com
Tue Nov 14 22:37:00 EST 2017

On 11/14/2017 10:31 PM, Kyeong Su Shin wrote:
> Dear Marcus D. Leech:
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> Is the only advantage of the TwinRX the pre-selector filter bank? Or,
> can the superheterodyne design of the radio also affect the data
> quality in some ways?
A Low-IF superhet design has some advantages, but the UBX has the same
overall architecture.  With a Zero-iF design, mixer balance is extremely
   important, and not always easy to achieve "perfectly".  In the end,
it's a matter of where your mixer images end up.

> We do turn down the gain to get optimal results. (The 'noise figure'
> that I mentioned was the noise figure that is observed by us, after
> such adjustments). We will definitely try adding filters.
Keep in mind that filters "out front" necessarily add to the noise
figure of your receiver, since they aren't loss-free.  RF system design
is all about
   trade-offs.