[USRP-users] Ethernet over SFP+ in custom FPGA design (X3x0)

Christian Lenz christian.lenz at freedelity.com
Sun Nov 5 08:55:20 EST 2017

Hey Sugandha,

thanks for your help. I apologize for the incredible delay from my
side, but back to my question.

We want to port a hole IP solution from some proprietary hardware to
the USRP and evaluate the costs (mainly development time) of migrating
our IP to RFNoC vs. a custom image.
The crux is, we already have a complete implementation of both FPGA
infrastructure (mostly auto-generated VHDL) and the corresponding
software running on a connected PC. However, on the currently used
hardware platform, the PC is connected via USB.
That's why I'm interested in the effort to get the Ethernet connection
running.

1. You wrote that eth_dispatch and chdr_eth_framer blocks handle MAC,
IP etc., but I thought we are only talking about PHY+MAC
implementation. So does the Ethernet Core actually implement IP layer
too?
2. For the packte based communication you said that as long as it is a
chdr paket, the FPGA would handle it. The structure of such a chdr
paket can be found here:
http://files.ettus.com/manual/page_rtp.html#rtp_chdr. Related to point
1, the chdr structure must be present in the payload of an Ethernet
frame or is this already the (adapted) Ethernet frame structure itself?
Do you know if i can transmit a chdr paket to the USRP utilizing a so
called "Raw-Ethernet socket" (what seems to be a solution for
MAC-layer Ethernet communication w/o TCP/IP). For isntance, raw
ethernet sockets are availably in Python.
3. Is the code of the UHD part available that interfaces the network
device and drops of the chdr pakets?

Thanks again,
Christian