[USRP-users] Having Installation Recognition Of Ettus E310

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Mon Jul 31 02:54:23 EDT 2017

Hello Konstantin,

So, the most important difference to be made here is that while the B210
is used as a peripheral to a PC, the E310 includes the host computer
itself. So, the signal processing software doing whatever you want to do
has to run on the E310 itself.

So, what you'd normally do is a development circle that looks something
like:

 1. On a PC, implement signal processing software that would do what you
    want if running on the E310. In your case, you can verify that by
    using the B210. Make sure that the software doesn't use more CPU and
    memory bandwidth than the E310 has to offer.
 2. If necessary, cross-compile the software for the E310, copy the
    resulting executable over to the E310's storage, and run it on the
    E310. Verify operation, improve the software (back to step 1).

That cross-compiling is what you need the SDK for.

Now, you'll be working with the Linux that is running on the E310. This
might be a good time to point out that some proficiency with Linux is
necessary when developing for an embedded device that is running that
OS; so, honestly, I'd be sure to feel very comfortable with working with
the B210 under Linux before even starting with the E310. As the E310 is
kind of special-purpose for applications where size and ruggedness are
more important to have than CPU power, you might come into a situation
where you'd also have to write some FPGA infrastructure – all these are
complicating matters, so again, be very comfortable with Linux before
diving into embedded Linux development! I'm personally not very
emotional about these matters, but it might be fair to say that at that
point, you'll necessarily be doing all your dev work in a Linux
environment, so that one would wonder why you'd be running Linux in a VM
to start with.

Best regards,

Marcus