[USRP-users] 52MHz replace for N210

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Fri Jul 14 05:01:25 EDT 2017

Dear Jon,

that is technically unlikely to work. All the timings inside the N210
are optimized for a 100 MHz master clock rate, and you can't derive that
from 52 MHz directly.

Why the 52 MHz clock? As said, everything is tested, optimized and
calibrated for 100 MHz only in the N210, so you really shouldn't change
the MCR unless you have very extensive capabilities at intercepting
high-rate lines between FPGA and DAC and ADC and measure digital signal
quality. You'd basically be re-engineering the hardest part of the
N210's physical digital links. Now, are you in possession of a very good
oscillator that you want to use as reference for the N210? In that case,
you'd have to investigate whether you could reconfigure the AD9510 (I
doubt it, there's quite a few cross-dependencies between clocks) to use
52 MHz as reference.

So, your best bet is very likely to use an external clock synthesizer
that you can somehow configure to generate a 10/52 = 5/26 clock from that.

Best regards,

Marcus