[USRP-users] DAC Floating point or fixed point complex type ?

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Tue Mar 29 18:22:49 EDT 2016

Fixed point; I wouldn't know of any high-speed floating point DACs
(those would be *amazing*, imagine the dynamic range they'd have to
offer for the floating point to make sense!).

That's the same for all the processing chain in hardware: all fixed
point calculations. The ugly truth is that handling floating point
numbers is hard to do fast, space- and energy-efficient, error-safe...
and that's the reason why most DSP that doesn't happen on a desktop CPU
or scientific computing happens in fixed point arithmetics.

Best regards,
Marcus