[USRP-users] trouble with latest UHD under VirtualBox/Ubuntu

mleech at ripnet.com mleech at ripnet.com
Tue Mar 15 11:43:00 EDT 2016

Something to note is that USB support under VMs (whether VMWare or
Virtualbox or whatever) is notoriously "spotty". The USB state-machine
is not fully emulated, and various devices (or, in your case, device
revisions) can cause that emulation to go "off the rails".

I've never had good luck with USB support under VMWare, and it's always
been hit-and-miss.

There have been improvements to USB reliability made in recent UHD
releases (since 3.8), and it may be the case that those improvements,
while actually improving for almost everybody, exercise an oddity in the
USB emulation within VMs.

Personally, I don't recommend using SDR hardware under a VM--precisely
because of both the poor USB state machine emulation, and the much-lower
performance.