[USRP-users] System Hangs with Rebuilt File System on E310

Moritz Fischer moritz.fischer at ettus.com
Mon Mar 14 17:30:35 EDT 2016

Hi Matt,

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 5:44 AM, Moore, Mathew L via USRP-users
<usrp-users at lists.ettus.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> We have a custom application that maps the FPGA AXI to user space via
> /dev/mem

To what end? /dev/mem is usually not what you want.

> We’ve been using a re-built version of the file system image (based on the
> instruction published in the USRP Hardware Driver and USRP Manual, with the
> exception that I am using e300-dizzy rather than Release 3).

Please rebuild off of the manifest for Release 4.

> If I switch to using the stock image downloaded from Ettus’s site, the hang
> no longer occurs. But even if I build a fresh, unmodified e300-dizzy from
> source, the hang returns.

Please use the latest image.

> In attempts to narrow down the issue, does anyone know if there are
> modifications to the e300-dizzy source that are not included in the released
> image?  I notice, for instance, that an additional module is loaded on
> startup on my built one (“pps_gpio”) that doesn’t show up (via lsmod) on the
> stock image. (Unloading that module has no effect on the hang issue.)

Your lockup is most probably related to you reading from an address in
the FPGA space that goes away,
either due to the idle image being loaded, or you reloading the FPGA,
or something else reading from the
FPGA memory while you reload the FPGA.

PPS GPIO is most certainly not your issue.

Thanks,

Moritz