[USRP-users] System Hangs with Rebuilt File System on E310

Moore, Mathew L MooreML at battelle.org
Mon Mar 14 08:44:14 EDT 2016

Hello all,

We have a custom application that maps the FPGA AXI to user space via /dev/mem that is being plagued with non-deterministic system hangs (a complete hang, no kernel panic or anything). It appears to happen while we are performing a continuous memory read of the mapped memory.

We've been using a re-built version of the file system image (based on the instruction published in the USRP Hardware Driver and USRP Manual, with the exception that I am using e300-dizzy rather than Release 3).

If I switch to using the stock image downloaded from Ettus's site, the hang no longer occurs. But even if I build a fresh, unmodified e300-dizzy from source, the hang returns.

In attempts to narrow down the issue, does anyone know if there are modifications to the e300-dizzy source that are not included in the released image?  I notice, for instance, that an additional module is loaded on startup on my built one ("pps_gpio") that doesn't show up (via lsmod) on the stock image. (Unloading that module has no effect on the hang issue.)

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

--Matt