[USRP-users] Getting started with the E310

Philip Balister philip at opensdr.com
Mon Sep 14 17:29:10 EDT 2015

On 09/14/2015 01:35 PM, Chris Stankevitz via USRP-users wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got three E310 USRPs.  I turned one on, logged in, and tried "uhd_rx_nogui --frequency=40000000 --modulation=FM".  It died on line 168 calling "make" which apparently was supplied 4 arguments when 3 were expected.
>
> Is this a reasonable command to use to run a "hello world" of the RFFE?  If not, can you recommend a way for me to feel confident that the equipment is working?

I use this:

usrp_flex -f 929.615e6 -a "" --rx-gain=70

You may need to hunt for a local pager channel.

> Better yet, is there a "getting started" document I can follow?  There is a "Getting Started" guide at http://files.ettus.com/manual/page_usrp_e3x0.html but I do not see where it shows me how to activate the ADC to do something with signals.
>
> Is there a simple way for me to feel confident that the GPS time sync is working?  Normally I use ntpq for this but that appears to not be available on the E310.

I just posted test images with uhd-3.9.0 and gpsd. Together with an
updated ntp.conf file, gets you a clock synced to gps time.

http://files.ettus.com/e3xx_images/alpha/fido-test/

This is the best way to copy the image to the sd card;

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Copy_an_image_file_to_the_SD_card

The gnuradio-dev image is the one the factory card is based on.

Here is the ntp.conf I use:

[balister at thuvia ~]$ cat e300-tests/ntp.conf
# This is the most basic ntp configuration file
# The driftfile must remain in a place specific to this
# machine - it records the machine specific clock error
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
# This should be a server that is close (in IP terms)
# to the machine.  Add other servers as required.
# Unless you un-comment the line below ntpd will sync
# only against the local system clock.
#
# server time.server.example.com
#

server  0.natinst.pool.ntp.org
server  1.natinst.pool.ntp.org
server  2.natinst.pool.ntp.org
server  3.natinst.pool.ntp.org

# GPS PPS reference
server 127.127.22.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
fudge 127.127.22.0 refid PPS

server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 prefer
fudge 127.127.28.0 time1 0.191 refid GPS

statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/
statistics peerstats
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable

# Defining a default security setting
restrict default