[USRP-users] about 10 Gig ethernet configuration

Sanjoy Basak sanjoybasak14 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:21:14 EDT 2015

Hi Michael, Neel and Marcus,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I tried each of those.
I updated the kernel to 3.19.0-31-generic.

CPU governors, I set to performance as instruction given in this link.
http://files.ettus.com/manual/page_usrp_x3x0_config.html#x3x0cfg_hostpc_pwr
Now, after setting it to performance and restarting, if I check with
cpu-freq, I find all governers are set at performance. But after a
while(5/10 mins later) if I check again cpu-freq info, I see all governers
are set to powersave.
Could you please tell me why and how to configure it properly?

I tried with benchmark_rate to check the performance. With tx-rate till 200
MSps I do not get any overflow/underflow. However with rx-rate 25/50/100
MSps I get drop of packets. I made a direct connection from computer to the
X310. No switch is used.

On the contrary with shorter(copper) cable at 1Gig interface I do not get
any drop of packets at 25MSps (on both tx_rate and rx_rate).
Is 3m copper cable really bad?

We don't have fibre cable right now. We already ordered. I hope we will get
it next week and check how it is. We don't have any SFP+ 10 Gig interface.
So can't really test 10 gig interface with short 10 gig copper cable.

These are the benchmark_rate results for 10 Gig interface

Testing receive rate 25.000000 Msps on 1 channels
DDDDDDDD
Benchmark rate summary:
  Num received samples:    249845308
  Num dropped samples:     15968
  Num overflows detected:  0
  Num transmitted samples: 0
  Num sequence errors:     0
  Num underflows detected: 0

Testing receive rate 100.000000 Msps on 1 channels
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Benchmark rate summary:
  Num received samples:    999934124
  Num dropped samples:     41916
  Num overflows detected:  0
  Num transmitted samples: 0
  Num sequence errors:     0
  Num underflows detected: 0

 I also used this command
sudo ethtool -C eth2 rx-usecs 16 rx-frames 20

Please let me know what you think occurring the problem and
whether replacing copper cable with short fibre cable solves the problem.

Best regards
Sanjoy