[USRP-users] Fwd: How to control and manage multiple USRPs

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Fri Oct 23 14:57:10 EDT 2015

Dear Sifat Ibne Mushfique!

Welcome to USRP-users :).
> My current research work would need to control multiple USRP devices
> with a single device (that can be anything).
Classically, USRPs are controlled by a "normal" PC, or similar computer.
There's virtually no limit on how many USRPs you can use with one host,
just a computational load problem for the host.
Details depend on which USRP type you're actually using (most probably
one of USRP1,USRP2,B100,N200/210,B200/210,X300/310?).
> I know that multiple USRPs can be synchronized to act like one,
> but do you know about anything which can distinguish between the
> USRPs, and send signal to specifically any of them when needed?
So, you can use UHD, our driver, to have one "control" for all your
USRPs. That will still have separate TX and RX streams for each USRP, so
you can send arbitrary and different data to each one of them.

For instance, UHD ships with an example "rx_multi_sample", which, when
run with "--help" tells you, amongst other things,

>     This is a demonstration of how to receive aligned data from
> multiple channels.
>     This example can receive from multiple DSPs, multiple
> motherboards, or both.
>     The MIMO cable or PPS can be used to synchronize the
> configuration. See --sync
>
>     Specify --args to select multiple motherboards in a configuration.
>       Ex: --args="addr0=192.168.10.2, addr1=192.168.10.3"

What works in RX works similarly in TX direction, too, so I'd like to
ask you to install UHD, and try the example.

Also, what are you going to do with the USRPs? Control them with GNU
Radio to generate and process data in real time? Use them to send data
precomputed "off line"?

Best regards,
Marcus