[USRP-users] RFNoC Tutorial - Synthesis error

Nicolas Cuervo Benavides cuervonicolas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 08:19:46 EDT 2015

Hi all!

I'm a newbie in RFNoc. In the lab we have Vivado 2014.4 installed (only
with evaluation license so far), Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and the device is an
X310. For a quick start I went for the tutorial that can be found under the
following link:
http://www.trondeau.com/s/3-pendlum_jonathon-rfnoc_tutorial_fpga.pdf

In which I get until the building of the tutorial image my typing

$ make X310_RFNOC_HGS

although in the tutorial it says make X310_HGS_RFNOC, but I just assumed
the name of the file changed on the continuous development in which RFNoc
undergoes.

At this point, after a couple of minutes, I get the error regarding the 10G
ethernet:

ERROR: [Common 17-69] Command failed: * IP definition 'Ten Gigabit Ethernet
PCS/PMA (10GBASE-R/KR) (6.0)' for IP 'ten_gig_eth_pcs_pma' was not found in
the IP Catalog.
Please select 'Report IP Status' from the 'Tools/Report' menu or run Tcl
command 'report_ip_status' for more information.

    while executing
"open_example_project -force -dir . [get_ips $ip_name]"
    invoked from within
"if [string match $gen_example_proj "1"] {
    puts "BUILDER: Generating Example Design..."
    open_example_project -force -dir . [get_ips $ip_name]
}"
    (file "/uhd/fpga-src/usrp3/top/../tools/scripts/viv_generate_ip.tcl"
line 30)

I go to Vivado (2014.4, so far only with evaluation license) and first I
see this at opening:

 [Project 1-19] Could not find the file
'/uhd/fpga-src/usrp3/lib/timing/pps.v'.

which is stated as warning, but I don't really know if it's related to the
error I'm receiving. Then, I see that the IP ten_gig_eth is "locked", and
the software recommends me to check the catalog for a replacement. However,
the replacement available doesn't allow me to continue the synthesis, as it
needs to be purchased (apparently my license does not include it).

I try just to disable the module directly in Vivado, but didn't see a
difference.

Any Ideas of how can I continue with this tutorial?

Thank you all in advance!

Best Regards
--
Nicolás Cuervo Benavides