[USRP-users] Reg : Image Downloader

Marcus D. Leech mleech at ripnet.com
Wed Oct 21 13:18:10 EDT 2015

On 10/21/2015 01:14 PM, Marcus Müller wrote:
> I'm really out of my depth here, Sumit. The manual proxy specification
> should really do the same as the environment variable. I can follow the
> code path manually.
> My guess is that somethings slightly different; I know I'm getting a
> little too persistent, but what does
>
> echo "$http_proxy"
>
> say?
>
> Best regards,
> Marcus

Also, something to understand about environment variables.  They
propagate *downwards* in the process tree, not *ACROSS*. So if you

export foo=bar

In one shell window, processes created from that shell will inherit
"foo", but that doesn't change the environment anywhere else.

This is why "standard" environment variables are usually set in the
.bashrc and/or .profile file, so that they appear in the first shell
created, and propagate downwards from that.  Further, a shell variable
is NOT an environment variable, unless you "export" it.

Further, some terminal window implementations default to starting the
shell *NOT* in login mode, so that your .profile/.bashrc is never
   processed before the shell in that window is started...