[USRP-users] FSK Radio 1 MHz tone spacing

Marcus D. Leech mleech at ripnet.com
Wed Oct 14 12:02:42 EDT 2015

On 09/24/2015 06:56 PM, Richard Bell via USRP-users wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Ubuntu 14.04, GNU Radio 3.7.8, UHD 3.009
>
> I'm having issues with an FSK radio that works perfectly fine in
> simulation with full synchronization and channel effects added (noise,
> timing, frequency, gain attenuation). When I test it over the USRP
> N210, I notice a frequency dependent gain that is applied to the tones
> and what looks like instability in the frequency at each tone. The
> output of the quad_demod block in gnuradio shows considerable
> variability in what should be a single tone.
>
> So, I started to wonder if I'm pushing the N210 too hard here. My
> tones are spaced 60 Khz apart and range from -450 kHz to +450 kHz for
> a total of 16 possible tones. This amounts to what looks like a
> frequency hopper, which is essentially what FSK is. Is that nearly 1
> MHz wide frequency hopping band too much to expect? I'm running at 2
> Msps.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work flawlessly.  This is no
different than dozens of different OFDM applications that are used
  on a daily basis by USRP users.

I've taken the liberty of cross-posting to discuss-gnuradio, since some
of this is likely Gnu Radio related, and not hardware related.

What gain settings are you using, and what daughtercard?