[USRP-users] Synchronisg GPS and PPS

Sivan Toledo stoledo at tau.ac.il
Sun Oct 4 06:13:18 EDT 2015

I tested this again in 3.8.5. The behavior is different (and the difference
is not documented in the change log), but is still weird to the extent that
this is hard to implement Marcus's suggestion with confidence.

I wait for a PPS change, wait 200ms, and then poll for GPGGA and GPRMC. The
first time, it takes 200ms to get them. They are correct (the value is the
second at last PPS).

 I repeat and wait again for a PPS change, wait 200ms, and poll for the
NMEA strings. I get the first strings again. This takes almost no time
(they appear to be cached).

The third time, getting the GPS strings takes again 200ms and they are
again fresh.

The behavior is repeatable and stays the same if I wait 500ms after the PPS.

Is there a way to know that the GGA and RMC strings are fresh and not
cached? I can retrieve them before the PPS and make sure they changed, but
this seems like a hack.

Thanks, Sivan