[USRP-users] USB 3.0 streaming rate benchmark

Neel Pandeya neel.pandeya at ettus.com
Mon Oct 19 21:14:19 EDT 2015

Hello Urban:

Unfortunately, the page that you reference in your email is a little
out-of-date, but we are working on an update which should be available
shortly.

The Intel 6 Series, 7 Series/C210 Series, 8 Series/C220 Series USB
controllers should all work well. My Lenovo ThinkPad T440p laptop has the 8
Series/C220 Series controller, which I've had good results with. We also
recently used the Intel Wildcat controller on a Lenovo ThinkPad T450
laptop, and that also worked well.

Anecdotally I would say that I've seen some feedback from users on the
mailing list who report having problems with the Renesas, AS Media, and NEC
controllers. But that's not universally true. For example, see the post
below, where problems have been reported with the NEC UPD720202, but some
good results have been reported with the VIA VL80X controller. Overall, it
seems the Intel controllers work the best overall, and the newer VIA and
NEC controllers work fairly well. Most Intel controllers are available only
on motherboards, and not on PCIe expansion cards.

http://lists.ettus.com/pipermail/usrp-users_lists.ettus.com/2015-September/015779.html

We do not have any specific motherboards that we officially recommend. In
the office we have had good results with the Dell Precision T3600, and
another system with an ASUS P9X79 motherboard, both of which use an Intel
X79 chipset, but do not see that as any official endorsement.

I'm not sure that there are any PC motherboards using USB 3.1 yet, but it
should certainly work fine. I don't think there would be any specific
advantage to using it over USB 3.0.

--Neel