[USRP-users] problem with loopbacks when using USRP

mleech at ripnet.com mleech at ripnet.com
Tue Jul 28 12:06:19 EDT 2015

It means your computer isn't keeping up. USRPs are fundamentally
streaming devices. When a 'U' shows up, it means that the TX FIFO has
become empty, with no samples to send. Higher-level "packets" are just
that, a higher-level concept that the USRP knows nothing about. It
streams samples, it has zero clue what they mean or any kind of internal
syntax or framing or anything. It has no way to handle underruns
"nicely", because packets are a layer of abstraction significantly above
what it's dealing with.

You'd have the same issues regardless of which USRP you're using--if
your computer can't "keep up" with producing samples at the desired
rate, it will be unable to keep up no matter which USRP you're using
(modulo subtle driver differences between USB and Ethernet, for
example).