[USRP-users] "sudo apt-get upgrade" on liveusb 3

Collins, Richard richard.collins at axenterprize.com
Thu Jul 23 09:42:47 EDT 2015

Marcus,

Yes, when deciding between the GNURadio LiveDVD image and the Ettus LiveUSB
image, I chose the Ettus version for being able to be generated for a
larger USB drive without having to mess with partition resizing and for
persistence enabled by default. I also find it agrees with my laptop's
hardware out of the box a little better than any Ubuntu version before
15.04 (i.e. either currently supported LTS).

I really just wanted to get a known good install of current UHD and
gnuradio versions that I can backup and restore quickly (dd) in case I mess
anything up or take up too much space with things that either I forgot
where I installed them or I don't know how to uninstall. (This happens
occasionally).

I've tried PyBOMBS once before, but I was having trouble figuring out how
to install a specific version of either gnuradio or uhd (I forget which
one)... I was at the same case where I wanted to uninstall both to get a
newer version of UHD, but it ended up installing the same one I had before
(I think I can just do a git checkout, but I don't think I read the guide
before doing this!), and was facing long repeated install and uninstall
times. I like the idea of PyBOMBS, but I'm not too familiar with it except
for using it that once.

I think I'll try PyBOMBS when I reinstall Linux next time natively on my
laptop (which should be soon-ish, and I might use Mint, not sure yet).

Thanks for the info!

Richard