[USRP-users] "sudo apt-get upgrade" on liveusb 3

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Thu Jul 23 04:02:14 EDT 2015

Hi Richard,

technically, it should work. I haven't tried it, though, so I can't
really guarantee anything.
It's pretty cool to update the stick, but you'll have to realize that
this will update libraries, which were used during the build of GNU
Radio and UHD for the image.
Hence, you'll have to re-build these yourself, too, afterwards (and all
applications linking against them), effectively losing the advantage of
having a ready-to-run image.

So: whilst probably being possible, I think that'd subvert the idea of
the liveUSB image. Being a GNU Radio enthusiast myself, I'd like to
point you at the GNU Radio liveSDR environment, which is effectively
pretty similar to the Ettus liveUSB in functionality, but has been
recently updated:

https://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GNURadioLiveDVD

> Note: I'm new to a lot of this and just used to Ubuntu. Also curious.
Curiosity is a virtue :)

Now, you said you used Ubuntu -- have you had a look at PyBOMBS? It
automagically builds UHD, GNU Radio etc if asked to do so:

www.pybombs.info

Happy hacking,
Marcus