[USRP-users] [UHD] Request for Feedback: C-API

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Tue Jul 21 08:57:44 EDT 2015

Dear Jason,

This is an C interface to the C++ base, meant to allow C developer to make use of UHD, not to replace UHD, which definitely makes heavy user of C++ features such as scope/automatic destructor invocation, inheritance/polymorphism, templates, standard library containers, boost/std:: threading...

If you take a look at it, you'll notice it mainly wraps method calls as normal C functions which take handles - there's not too much magic in there, not too much abstraction between what you know from the C++ library and documentation.

In short: I'm not really worried UHD will suddenly stop being a C++ library, but I'm looking forward to what people will be able to do with a C interface.

Personally, I think there might be solid interest in wrapping UHD in scripting languages, beyond using the GNU Radio/Swig detour to get a Python wrapper, not to mention things like the E310 definitely target embedded developers, which might both be more used to C and also might want to write code for existing C frameworks.

Best regards,
Marcus