[USRP-users] Unable to permanently set UHD maximum buffer size

Marcus D. Leech mleech at ripnet.com
Thu Jul 16 19:29:59 EDT 2015

On 07/16/2015 07:23 PM, John Petrich via USRP-users wrote:

> /UHD_USRP_probe / outputs a UHD warning that the receive buffer should
> be resized to 50e6. Following the
> http://files.ettus.com/manual/page_transport.html documentation,  I
> have been unable to permanently set the maximum /rmem /buffer size.
> The /wmem /buffer size appears to be permanently set.  Using Ubuntu
> 14.04 LTS OS.  The /sysctl.conf /directory is not natively present in
> my OS.
>
> I performed /mkdir sysctl.conf/ in the /etc /directory.  Using /sudo
> nano net.core.rmem_max=50000000 /to access a text editor, I was able
> to include the text file < /net.core.rmem_max=50000000> / in the
> /sysctl.conf /directory.  The /rmem /maximum buffer size is not
> permanently set and the UHD warning continues to appear at every reboot.
>
> Any suggestions?  Is the /sysctl.conf/ directory correctly placed in
> the /etc /directory in my Ubuntu OS?  Is the text file
> </net.core.rmem_max=50000000> / correct?  What have I forgotten to
> do?  Any ideas why the /wmem /buffer size appears to be permanently
> set but not the /rmem/ buffer size?
>
> Regards,
>
> John Petrich

sysctl.conf is a regular *file*, generally.

Here's the contents of my /etc/sysctl.conf

# System default settings live in /usr/lib/sysctl.d/00-system.conf.
# To override those settings, enter new settings here, or in an
/etc/sysctl.d/<name>.conf file
#
# For more information, see sysctl.conf(5) and sysctl.d(5).
# Updates for Gnu Radio
net.core.rmem_max = 1000000
net.core.wmem_max = 1000000
kernel.shmmax = 2147483648