[USRP-users] B2x0 maximum receive power before device damage occurrs.

Urban Hakansson uhakansson at tecore.com
Thu Jul 16 13:10:05 EDT 2015

Hi,

RX power -15dBm max according to http://files.ettus.com/manual/page_usrp_b200.html

Why is this the max Rx Power limit? I assume this is the max RX Power before device damage may occur.

I looked at the schematics at http://files.ettus.com/schematics/b200/b200.pdf "B200 RF Interface", page 8 of 8.

Following the RF path from the RX1 (J802) SMA port to the AD9361-RX here are the components I have identified, followed by the max input power ratings.

1) U807: SKY13335−381LF, a pHEMT GaAs FET I/C switch that can handle up to +31 dBm
2) U800: ?
3) U801: SKY13317−373LF, a GaAs pHEMT single-pole, triple-throw (SP3T) antenna switch that can handle up to +30 dBm (1 Watts) input power.
4) U802: BD3150L50100A00, a balanced to unbalanced transformer, that can handle up to 2 Watts ( +33 dBm )
5) AD9361-RX, and RFIC that can handle up to +2.5 dBm.

When I look at the major components in the RX RF path, I cannot help but think the B2x0 should be able to handle up to +2.5 dBm ? Where does the -15 dBm max RX power limit come from? (There are a bunch of resistors, capacitors, and inductors in between all these components, all of which I assume can handle whatever comes in.)

Which component(s) in the RF path is it that will experience damage at this RX power level?

Thanks for your consideration,

Urban Hakansson
Senior Software Engineer
Tecore Networks
Phone: +1 410 872 6315
Fax: +1 410 872 6010
Email: uhakansson at tecore.com

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       This e-mail may contain privileged, confidential, copyrighted or other legally protected information, and is intended exclusively for the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient (even if the e-mail address above is yours), you may not review, store, use, copy, disclose or retransmit it in any form.  If you are not the intended recipient or otherwise have received this by mistake, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail (or sysadmin at tecore.com), then delete the message in its entirety. Thank you.