[USRP-users] E310 stuck at "Loading FPGA image: /usr/share/uhd/images/usrp_e310_fpga.bit..."

Collins, Richard richard.collins at axenterprize.com
Thu Jul 16 10:57:55 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Philip Balister <philip at opensdr.com> wrote:

> On 07/15/2015 01:05 PM, Collins, Richard via USRP-users wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to get the E310 working (not in network mode) to run some
> > examples. I first unxz'd the release 2 dev image from
> > http://files.ettus.com/e3xx_images/e310-release-002/ .  (I'm not sure
> the
> > difference between demo and dev... I'll try it with demo next...), and
> then
> > used dd to flash it to an sdhc class-10 microsd card that's greater than
> > 8GB.
>
> Demo is the dev image with an X server and a few more programs.
>
> Bmaptool will let you right images to cards faster:
>

> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Copy_an_image_file_to_the_SD_card

ok! I installed bmaptool 2.3 from apt-get (on Ubuntu 15.04) since running
the code in the link (specifically,"sudo python setup.py install") gave me
the following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 4, in <module>
    from setuptools import setup, find_packages
ImportError: No module named setuptools
using bmaptool did seem to go a bit faster (especially since I didn't have
to unxz the file first).

> > We then were able to set up ssh by changing the sshd.conf file as
> described
> > toward the very end of the USRP E3x0 manual.
> >
> > Logged in via ssh -X root@<E310's IP>, we are able to launch
> RTIMULibDemo
> > and gnuradio-companion, each successfully.
> >
> > Problem A: Whether we try to load a python example from
> > /usr/share/gnuradio/examples/uhd/ OR build a simple example for GRC (that
> > uses either a UHD source or sink), the build/run process gets stuck at
> > and never quits or continues.
> >

> Can you try uhd_usrp_probe? Let's get the fpga loading reliably before
> working on your other problem.
>
> Philip

Yes. I tried usrp_probe on the first sd image that I was having problems
with, and it hung at exactly the same spot.
I think problems A and B are exactly the same when it comes to running
gnuradio scripts or grc locally the E310, (but I still don't yet know how
to run it from an external host... going to try that next).

Since my first message yesterday, I had already flashed the sd card with
-demo, and that ran just fine! I didn't have any hangups, and the bitstream
was pushed to the fpga in around a second's time. I got the wbfm demo to
work as well as generating a single tone over the TRX-A to be displayed on
the spec-an. uhd_usrp_probe also ran just fine, and it listed all the info.

Now that I have -dev flashed to the sd card, I'm trying that again now...
Yup! It works out of the box! I don't know what I did, but it works now,
lol.

Thanks!

> > Problem B: I don't know how to correctly address the E310 from either
> > within GRC on the zynq, or from GRC on a laptop. While ssh'd into the
> E310
> > and running GRC locally, or with the E310 on the same subnet as a host
> > computer over a direct ethernet connection and running GRC on the host
> > computer... nothing seems to work no matter if we leave Device Address or
> > Device Arguments alone, or put something in either field (ip address in
> > Device Address field or any of the following in the Device Arguments
> field
> > "addr=192.168.0.10" (or "addr=127.0.0.1" when running locally) or
> > "serial=308E670"). In this case, the process hangs before trying to load
> > the fpga.bit file.
> >

> > Some further information:
> >
> > root at ettus-300:~# uname -a
> > Linux ettus-e300 3.14.2-xilinx #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 06:51:07 EDT
> 2015
> > armv7l GNU/Linux
> > root at ettus-300:~# uhd_find_devices
> >
> > linux; GNU C++ version 4.9.1; Boost_105600; UHD_003.008.004-0-unknown
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > --UHD Device 0
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Device Address:
> >
> > type: e3x0
> >
> > node: /dev/axi_fpga
> >
> > name:
> >
> > serial: 308E670
> >
> > product: 30674
> >

> > Any help would be appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Richard Collins

Last question for Problem B... what is the correct way to run
gnuradio_companion with the USRP? Am I doing it right by running it on the
E310 directly? If i use my computer as the host, and try something like
putting the IP in for the Device Address over a direct ethernet
connection... would that require "networked mode" (which I read is advised
against for throughput considerations)? (I'm assuming networked mode pushes
all the processing to the host computer, which I don't want to do. I want
to eventually use some / more of the FPGA.

Thanks again!!!!!

 - Rich