[USRP-users] E310 stuck at "Loading FPGA image: /usr/share/uhd/images/usrp_e310_fpga.bit..."

Collins, Richard richard.collins at axenterprize.com
Wed Jul 15 14:05:25 EDT 2015

Hello,

I am trying to get the E310 working (not in network mode) to run some
examples. I first unxz'd the release 2 dev image from
http://files.ettus.com/e3xx_images/e310-release-002/ .  (I'm not sure the
difference between demo and dev... I'll try it with demo next...), and then
used dd to flash it to an sdhc class-10 microsd card that's greater than
8GB.

We then were able to set up ssh by changing the sshd.conf file as described
toward the very end of the USRP E3x0 manual.

Logged in via ssh -X root@<E310's IP>, we are able to launch RTIMULibDemo
and gnuradio-companion, each successfully.

Problem A: Whether we try to load a python example from
/usr/share/gnuradio/examples/uhd/ OR build a simple example for GRC (that
uses either a UHD source or sink), the build/run process gets stuck at
and never quits or continues.

Problem B: I don't know how to correctly address the E310 from either
within GRC on the zynq, or from GRC on a laptop. While ssh'd into the E310
and running GRC locally, or with the E310 on the same subnet as a host
computer over a direct ethernet connection and running GRC on the host
computer... nothing seems to work no matter if we leave Device Address or
Device Arguments alone, or put something in either field (ip address in
Device Address field or any of the following in the Device Arguments field
"addr=192.168.0.10" (or "addr=127.0.0.1" when running locally) or
"serial=308E670"). In this case, the process hangs before trying to load
the fpga.bit file.

Some further information:

root at ettus-300:~# uname -a
Linux ettus-e300 3.14.2-xilinx #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 06:51:07 EDT 2015
armv7l GNU/Linux
root at ettus-300:~# uhd_find_devices

linux; GNU C++ version 4.9.1; Boost_105600; UHD_003.008.004-0-unknown

------------------------------

--UHD Device 0

Device Address:

type: e3x0