[USRP-users] USRP B210 Sometimes Not Appearing with lsusb

Marcus D. Leech mleech at ripnet.com
Tue Jul 14 22:55:53 EDT 2015

On 07/14/2015 10:21 PM, devin kelly via USRP-users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have several Intel NUC single board computers (the Atom based
> ones).  Sometimes I'll reboot them with my USRP B210 plugged in or
> just unplug and plug in the USRP and the USRP will still behave as if
> it's unplugged.  There won't be any log messages in dmesg and lsusb
> won't find the USRP.
>
> I have the right udev rules installed and un-plugging and replugging
> the USRP (including the power supply) back in always seems to work.
> Once lsusb can find the USRP everything works fine.
>
> It seems like if we plug in the USB first and then the external power
> supply the USRP comes up fine, when we swap the order it's not as
> reliable.
>
> We have an external power supply that is at 5.6 V but gets loaded down
> to 5.3 V with the USRP plugged in.  After looking at the schematic it
> seems like 5V should be fine.
>
> Has anyone had any issue like this?  How should we start debugging?
>
> Thanks,
> Devin

I have seen this on ARM embedded boards as well, like on the XU3 and
U3.  I made it vastly more reliable by having a cheap USB-3.0 hub
between the host USB port and the USRP.  My suspicion is that this is
USB PHY-layer weirdness.

 From the PHY-layer perspective, the FX3 on the B2xx is setup exactly as
Cypress recommends.   The USB-3.0 controller ecosystem appears to be still
   somewhat immature, and it's still somewhat unpredictable whether any
given controller will work for any randomly-selected USB-3.0 device.