[USRP-users] WBX daughterboard and ADC clipping - USRP n210

Marcus D. Leech mleech at ripnet.com
Thu Jul 9 18:59:01 EDT 2015

On 07/09/2015 05:09 PM, Garey, Marshall Owen via USRP-users wrote:
> Hi usrp-users, another question for you. What is the maximum input
> power of the WBX daughterboard? More specifically, what is the max
> power that I should put in; also, what is the approximate max power
> when it starts to get fried? I've looked at the WBX daughterboard on
> ettus.com and can't find the information there, and I'm currently
> searching the mailing list archives. I recall reading a couple of
> different values on this mailing list and elsewhere (I think I've read
> -40, -30, and -20 dBm in different places). I have been staying well
> below -30 dBm, but I'd like to see when the ADC starts to clip the
> signal and don't want to destroy the daughtercard by putting in a
> signal with too high power. It will be good for us to know
> approximately how much power our signal can have before it starts to
> get clipped, and how gradual the clipping is. My thought was to
> measure the output amplitude until I started to see clipping, and to
> take a bunch of measurements of output amplitude at different input
> powers. However, as a noob, I welcome any suggestions you might have
> of a better way to do this.
> Thanks,
>  Marshall

We recommend -15dBm as the maximum input power for our transceiver
cards, some of them can take a little more, but it's a value that is a
reasonable
   max input value  for a receiver  card  that is  really intended for
connecting to a real-world antenna, rather than laboratory signal
generators and the like.