[USRP-users] recv_frame_size and num_recv_frames for B210

Dario Fertonani dario.fertonani at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 13:40:06 EDT 2015

Thank you Michael.
Can you please confirm/correct the following?

   - The parameter num_recv_frames sets the maximum number of frames that
   can be buffered. If this buffer fills up an ERROR_CODE_OVERFLOW is thrown.
   - Each of the num_recv_frames buffers is allocated a size of
   recv_frame_size bytes.
   - The "frame" concept for num_recv_frames and recv_frame_size is the
   same as for the "spp" option used for rx_stream args as at
   https://github.com/EttusResearch/uhd/wiki/Latency. For example, if I set
   spp to 1000 [and 1000 <= rxStream->get_max_num_samps( ) ], then the "frame"
   has 1000 samples even when recv_frame_size is "oversized" to 65536.

The above points are more critical then the following ones, which are just
about avoiding memory waste.

   - If I set num_rec_frames to 32 in a 2 rx system (we use B210), does
   that mean 32 frames for each antenna or 32 frames overall (16 frames for
   each antenna)?
   - If I use float32 as CPU format (8 bytes per complex sample) and set
   spp to 1000, can I assume that each frame will effectively use 8000 bytes,
   or is there some major overhead to account for?

Thanks,
Dario