[USRP-users] Urgent Help Needed

Philip Balister philip at opensdr.com
Thu Jul 9 11:32:40 EDT 2015

On 07/09/2015 11:26 AM, Marcus Müller via USRP-users wrote:
> Hi Prabhu,
>> I am using USRP E-310. It has an embedded OS.
> Exactly! That means that it's not designed to run just any software, but
> only the software you specifically compiled for it.
>
> Hence, you typically use a SDK on a PC to compile software for the E310,
> and build a filesystem image (to write it to the SD card) from that.
>
>> This device cannot be operated in Network Mode. And because of this
>> some we need have the functionality of installing the missing library
>> files.
> Good approach! The Network Mode is really just a diagnostic tool.
> Otherwise, you could buy a B210 for a lot less money to get the same
> functionality via USB (minus the better filtering on the E310).
>> SCIPY and NUMPY stack of python is heavily needed for some signal
>> processing and other math operations if I am writing a python script.
> numpy is included in the current release [1]. I think there was so
> problem with scipy's support on the arm platform; maybe someone can
> comment on that.
>
>> I tried to install the LAPACK library from source but new issues crops
>> up saying gfortran command not found.
> gfortran is a fortran compiler, LAPACK is implemented in Fortran90.
> That's something you very definitely don't want to install on your
> embedded platform.
>
> So the solution would be getting Lapack, scipy, and all the tools you
> need into your modified SD card image. You need to download the SDK from
> [2].

I've done some work looking at getting a recipe for Scipy, but haven't
had any luck. I'm also checking with some other guys who were
interested. Our preliminary work suggested the build process is painful.

If I needed scipy, I'd take a shot at building it on the E310. I think
you can use atlas to provide lapack and I think there are some NEON
speed ups there.

Personally, I would use scipy with a desktop PC to prototype my
algorithm and convert to c/c++ for the E310.

Philip