[USRP-users] USRP transmission power

Marcus Müller marcus.mueller at ettus.com
Thu Apr 30 05:53:45 EDT 2015

Hi Alok,

> How can I calculate the transmission power?

the power you transmit of course depends primarily on the signal you
transmit, on the TX gain you set, on your individual antenna, on the
frequency you're on, and to a certain degree on individual component
tolerances on the transmitting WBX. The only way of /knowing/ your power
is measuring in exactly the set up you have.
However, the USRPs/daughterboards are quite linear over quite a large
range, so if you take a signal, measure the power, and then use the same
signal but multiplied with 0.5, you'll get one fourth of the energy --
thus, you can generally assume signal energy to be proportional to the
square of your digital samples' magnitude.
> Another question i have,  can i change the transmission power for
> every transmission purpose?
Of course. Just change the signal you're transmitting, or change the TX
gain, or do both.

Best regards,
Marcus