[USRP-users] Cannot find usrp e310 with uhd_find_devices

Philip Balister philip at opensdr.com
Fri Apr 24 10:19:10 EDT 2015

On 04/24/2015 06:32 AM, Ivan via USRP-users wrote:
> I managed to make some progress thanks to the tips from Marcus and Neel. I modified slightly the build-gnuradio script to take -DENABLE_E300=ON option in the uhd build function and then I built everything again on the host PC.
> The E310 USRP is connected directly to the PC with a cross-over ethernet cable and has a static IP address.I can now detect the E310 from the PC using uhd_find_devices after I turn on the network mode on the E310. However, I still cannot run uhd_fft. When I ran it for the first time I got the error message: "Runtime error: Expected FPGA compatibility number 6.x but got 4.0. The FPGA build is not compatible with the host code build"
> I copied the usrp_e310_fpga.bit file from /usr/local/share/uhd/images on the PC to /usr/share/uhd/images on the E310 using scp. The old bit file was replaced but I still kept a copy of it in a separate directory. I ran uhd_fft again and this time I got a different error message: "e300_remote_codec_ctrl_impl transaction failed".
> Do I still have the compatibility problem or is it something else?

The key thing is the version of uhd on the e310 must match the version
on the PC. Otherwise you see this sort of trouble.

I realize we haven't done a great job (to date) with the version on
images being easy to match with a uhd release. That said, the last set
of test images I posted have uhd-3.8.3 (with no funny stuff).

If I was trying to get network mode running, I'd write
sdimage-gnuradio-dev.direct.xz  to an 8G usd card with bmaptool[1], then
install uhd-3.8.3 on my host computer. This should work.

Philip

[1]
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Copy_an_image_file_to_the_SD_card